Gross Potions – What’s Eating Grandma?

Was the pink-purple glitter shark that swallowed Grandma really a 12-year-old shapeshifting girl? It’ll take magic and a global odyssey for the Gross Family to solve the colorful mystery. Brothers, Ethan and Gavin along with their spirited Grandpa set out to prove Grandma’s discovered link between science and magic.   Can they make magic without Mom…

Boyhood

We moved to Vermont in 2016, when the boys were four.  We had four wonderful years in Delaware and Maryland exploring beaches, woods. We went to DC, Philly and spent hours and hours at libraries.  The kids tried boardwalk fries and soft serve ice cream. Pretty much the best way a kid can spend four…

Nelson Bench Showdown

The Original George Nelson’s 1946 classic. The Nelson Platform Bench is sold by Herman Miller.  Here’s the definitive description from the Herman Miller store: Equal parts seat and surface, the Nelson Platform Bench emerged from George Nelson’s Fortune magazine office to join his first Herman Miller Collection in 1946. Made with polished chrome or ebonized…

The Reason Why Beto will Win

I’m into politics, but not publically. I’ve worked on television ads for members of both parties and think I can provide a fair assessment. I don’t like Trump. When I worked in a competing casino as a marketing manager I couldn’t fathom how he couldn’t make money in a hot market. I’ve remarked that either…

Triple Frontier can’t overcome a lazy script

I’ve been pretty hyped for Triple Frontier since it’s trailer debuted a couple months ago.  A heist film starring Ben Affleck, Charlie Hunnam, Oscar Issac, and Pedro Pascal?  Sign me up. It’s Oceans 11 with double the machismo. Netflix doesn’t need nor do they care to make 10/10  films when 7/10 or even 5/10 get…

Your Best Parenting Age

As a parent, you’ll learn you have a parenting sweet spot. A year in your child’s life where you feel like you’re made for parenting. Like a 3-point specialist in the NBA, every shot you take goes nothing but net. Could it be the first year of your child’s life? Sure. For me, it was…

The Anti-Blockbuster

With Captain Marvel this weekend and a mix of other Marvel, DC and blockbuster films heading our way this summer it’s a good time to remember that the film and tv screens are the same sizes no matter what’s showing on it.  I personally love small films that feel familiar and don’t always have the…

The Hidden Netflix Links all Parents Need

Netflix Hidden Kid Categories:  Netflix is tough to navigate and nearly impossible with two kids breathing down your neck with vastly different tastes. Fortuently there’s help. Netflix divides their library into some 70,000 subcategories including thousands for kids. Most are too narrow to be helpful. If you are like us and have spent countless hours…

New York World’s Fair – 1964

My father had stacks of slides around the house of which 99% are family pictures. They’re nice of course, but the gold is in the other 1%. Here is what would have been a roll of film taken at the 1964 World’s Fair held in New York. Flushing Meadows Queens to be exact. Please find…