Prime Video has been in the news for some really bloated programs. While Prime has had its share of hits, it’s also had a few recent misfires that have left viewers disappointed. Has anyone gotten past episode 3 of “The Wheel of Time,” a sprawling fantasy series, that was touted as an epic adventure but ended up being a letdown, with critics calling it a misfire. The rights cost $1b. “Citadel,” despite being one of Prime’s most expensive shows and having a star-studded cast, was criticized for its bad script, acting, and cliches. “Dark/Web,” an attempt to create a Black Mirror-esque anthology, was dragged for its poor narratives.
These shows, despite their potential and high production values, failed to deliver resulting in bloated misfires that didn’t live up to viewers’ expectations. Is Prime Video worth it?
I declare yes! Prime has a lot of good stuff and an extensive library,. Here are my top 10 picks that are anything but boring and beautiful in their unique ways.
- Tales From the Loop: This science fiction series is inspired by the artwork of Simon Stålenhag. It’s a beautiful blend of futuristic technology and rural landscapes. The show’s beauty lies in its ability to weave together human stories with a backdrop of extraordinary circumstances over a Philip Glass score. It’s a visual and narrative feast that will leave you pondering long after you’ve finished watching. It’s a bit of a slow burn but I’ve watched it twice.
- Outer Range: A mystery thriller set against the backdrop of the Wyoming wilderness. The show’s beauty is in its stunning cinematography and the way it uses the landscape as a character in its own right. The vast, open spaces and the isolation they create add a unique dimension to the unfolding drama.
- Fleabag: This critically acclaimed British comedy-drama is a masterclass in storytelling. The beauty of Fleabag lies in its raw and unfiltered portrayal of its flawed yet endearing protagonist. The show’s ability to balance humor with heartbreak is truly a thing of beauty.
- The English: This western drama series is a beautiful exploration of the American frontier. The show’s beauty lies in its rich character development and the stunning landscapes that serve as the backdrop for the story. It’s a slow burn that rewards patient viewers with a deeply satisfying narrative highlighting Emily Blunt and Chaske Spencer spectacular performances.
- No Country for Old Men: This Oscar-winning film is a beautiful yet brutal examination of violence and morality. The beauty of this film lies in its stark cinematography and unforgettable performances. It’s a chilling, thought-provoking watch that will stay with you.
- Shaun of the Dead: This British horror-comedy is a beautiful blend of laughs and scares. The beauty of Shaun of the Dead lies in its clever script and the chemistry between its lead actors. It’s a fun, fast-paced watch that redefines the zombie genre.
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: This science fiction comedy is a beautiful adaptation of Douglas Adams’ beloved novel. The beauty of this film lies in its quirky humor and imaginative world-building. It’s a wild, whimsical ride through the galaxy that’s sure to entertain.
- Jackie Brown: This crime film is a beautiful showcase of Quentin Tarantino’s storytelling prowess. The beauty of Jackie Brown lies in its sharp dialogue, memorable characters, and the soulful soundtrack that perfectly complements the narrative.
- The Assassination of Jesse James: This western drama is a beautiful and haunting portrayal of the infamous outlaw. The beauty of this film lies in its atmospheric cinematography and the nuanced performances of its cast. It’s a slow, contemplative watch that offers a fresh take on a familiar story.
- 3 Days of the Condor: This classic thriller is a beautiful exploration of paranoia and conspiracy. The beauty of this film lies in its tight plot and the compelling performance of Robert Redford. It’s a tense, gripping watch that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
So, there you have it – 10 beautiful, unboring selections from Prime that are well worth your time. Happy watching!